Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Week 1 -- Bunyarit

1st Week


So far I have been in New York City for one week. Only one week, I earned a lot of knowledge, and experiences, particularly clinical experiences that is one of the most valuable experiences in my life. I would like to thank BME Department, NIH and everyone who have made the summer immersion happened.

The first lecture I learned in early of the first week involved ethics in research. The ethics lectures made me appreciate that not only how much important they are, but also learn basic principles regarding medical ethics. Also, the seminar clarifies me what the differences between ethics and laws are.

My mentor here is Dr. Ashutosh Tewari, the Director of Robotic Prostatectomy and Prostate Cancer- Urologic Oncology Outcomes at Weill Cornell. In addition to robotic surgery, his main research interests are focused on the field of important biomarkers for diagnostic purpose, cancer metastasis, and strategies to ameliorate nerve sparing techniques, which is important to sexual function recovery. After meeting with Dr Tewari, I was introduced to lab manager and other members in his research team.

I had a good opportunity to observe my first robotic prostatectomy on Monday and Wednesday. Within operating room had about 6-8 persons present. Before the robotic surgery began, a physician assistant gave me spectacles for watching surgery on TV screen.  Amazingly, it was like I am watching the IMAX theater--a real-time 3D movie. I asked some questions to a physician assistant regarding the process of the surgery and the elements of robotic machine. When the surgery began, Dr. Tewari controlled the robotic arms of the da Vinci surgical systems, and he was assisted by physician assistants standing by the patient.

Outside the OR, I spent my time studying diagnostic process, and grading and staging of prostate cancer. Up to date, my project has yet to be defined, and I expect that it will be finalized within week 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment