Friday, June 22, 2012

Week 1 - Anne

My experience in NYC so far has been great. My assigned mentor is Dr. Martin Prince in radiology. He focuses mostly MRIs of the body/torso. During my first week, I spent two days shadowing him in the reading room, where he reads cases from the previous day with fellows. His office is located at the imaging facility on 55th Street, but he also reads cases at Columbia's hospital and at the main hospital.

He has a project in mind for me that involves using the MRI scanner to scan myself and a few of the fellows. He was out of the country beginning Wednesday and I'm not sure of all the details yet, but in the meantime, I read the safety training information online at learnmri.org, a website that Dr. Prince created along with several graduate students in BME. Dr. Prince works closely with the graduate students in Dr. Wang's lab, who are based at the 55th Street facility. In their research, they often use the MRI scanners at the 55th Street facility and the main hospital after hours and on weekends, so I plan to watch one of them to learn more about how to run an MRI.

I also attended a bioethics lecture and our first round-table meeting with Dr. Wang. It was neat to hear about the wide variety of experiences everyone in the program is having. While Dr. Prince is gone, I plan to use observe some surgeries in other departments.

No comments:

Post a Comment