Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Week 1 - Katie Hudson


My name is Katie Hudson and I am a first year PhD student at Cornell University in Dr. Bonassar’s lab. Our lab works on regeneration of cartilage in its various forms including menisci and intervertebral discs (IVDs). My research has focused on creating tissue engineered IVDs that are seeded with cells, and can be implanted as a replacement disc. Because of these research foci, I was interested in working with a mentor in the area or orthopedics and the spine.

My mentor this summer is Dr. Roger Hartl, M.D., an Associate Professor of Neurological Surgery and Chief of Spinal Surgery and Neurotrauma at the Weill Cornell Brain and Spine Center at Weill Cornell Medical College. Dr. Hartl works with patients who have degeneration of the spine to the point where surgical intervention is necessary. He performs numerous surgeries that give people back their mobility and, in essence, their lives. Dr. Hartl is one of my lab’s collaborators and together we have worked on implanting our tissue engineered IVDs into the spines of rats to assess how they perform in vivo. I am interested in linking my research with the potential clinical outcomes much farther down the road. Engineering uses science to create products that improve the quality of life.

The danger of going into tissue engineering, which has a very long lead time, is forgetting the final goal: creating solutions to problems, for example degeneration of the spine. This experience has already, and will, over the next six weeks allow me to see more clearly the final goal.

Last Monday was our first day and I started off by getting familiar with the medical school and hospital campus before getting my ID and finding my way to my desk on the 22nd floor. I met with Dr. Hartl to start to establish my project. On Tuesday and Wednesday I had the opportunity to shadow Dr. Hartl as he met with his patients, including those who are contemplating surgery, have recently had surgery, and had surgery more than a year ago. The difference in mobility was startling. In my mind, I had imagined that fusing two vertebrae together would cause a severe decrease in range of motion but compared to the pain and immobility these patients experience, Dr. Hartl’s interventions are well worth it.

On Thursday, I had the opportunity to see a couple of these surgeries. This was my first time in an operating room (aside from when I was the subject). I was surprised by the number of people in the room and the flurry of activity in the various areas of the room. There is a highly collaborative feel in the OR, but also a clear hierarchy. These surgeries move like clockwork to ensure there are as few complications as possible.

On Thursday I also attended a lecture on ethics and the difference between ethics and morality. I have previously taken a course on animal ethics at my alma mater, Purdue University, so these principles were familiar, but adding the context of human culture and the differences that exist throughout the world added a new layer. All of the 1st years also met on Thursday afternoon so we could hear about each other’s experiences and trade information.

On Friday, instead of attending more human surgeries, I changed gears and helped two lab mates perform experiments in rats. We are looking at repairing the AF of a IVD after small needle nicks. Even these needle nicks can cause disc degeneration which can lead to the need for surgical intervention. I had heard a great deal about these surgeries on rats but it was great to participate and observe. I learn much more quickly when I can interact in a visual or tactile way.

This week has been a great introduction to both the clinical aspect of research and New York City itself. I can’t wait to flush out my project and learn more from Dr. Hartl and his lab.

No comments:

Post a Comment