Saturday, July 28, 2012

Anne - Week 7

I can't believe how quickly these seven weeks flew by! My last week was really interesting. I watched a cardiothoracic surgery in which the 76-year-old patient had a dime-sized hole in his heart. The surgeons iced his heart and it was stopped for about forty minutes, during which time they sewed up the hole. Katie and I were able to stand by the anesthesiologists, which was amazing.

On Thursday, Alexey and I did rounds in Labor & Delivery. There was a very sad case in which a pregnant patient's water broke at I believe 18 weeks, which meant that the fetus's lungs would never develop properly. We witnessed the conversation in which the attending told her that the team recommended terminating the pregnancy. Fortunately, the day ended on a high note and we witnessed two C-sections. I couldn't believe how quickly they happened! It was an incredible experience.

My project continued to move ahead and I'm excited to continue analyzing my summer's results. I really enjoyed the research I did and would like to come back to do more in the future. On Thursday our whole group went out for a very nice dinner. My biggest thanks for everything that the coordinators of this program did! I had a wonderful experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment