Saturday, July 28, 2012

As I am sitting in the bus on my way back to Ithaca, I cannot help but wonder how fast the last seven weeks have gone by. On a beginning note, I would like to thank Dr. Frayer for his guidance and support throughout the program. He has been instrumental in making this program a transcending experience by making us rotate in all medical ICUs and surgeries. The last week was very interesting as I got to watch a cardio thoracic surgery and a delivery of twins. The cardiothoracic surgery was an aortic valve replacement and it was a spine chilling experience to see them kick start the heart gradually weaning the body off the heart lung machine. It was quite dramatic with doctors mouthing words like "come on already" to the heart. Incidentally, dr. Leonard Girardi was on letterman show the day after the surgery and was interesting to watch him on the show. Like I said before in one of my posts it is definitely called an operation "theatre" and not a room for a reason. The labor room was even more dramatic with nurses yelling "push" in a high pitched voice. But it was such an overwhelming experience to witness human birth in such close quarters. This week I also analyzed the expression of markers in prostate cancer cells transferred a couple of years back and got to know that the cells were stably transfected and helped the graduate student in Dr. Osborne lab in preparing those cells for animal injections. The last seven weeks have been a rewarding experience and got me thinking about translational research as my career pursuit. I would like to thank dr. Osborne for all his help despite his busy schedule. Heading back to Ithaca and so excited to be heading back though a part of me wants to be back in the busy operation theatres and hospital corridors. It's bye bye manhattan and hello Ithaca!!

1 comment:

  1. Why does solid works crash when I preview a fillet with bad parameters?

    ReplyDelete