Saturday, July 14, 2012

DelNero_wk5


In the clinic, I had the opportunity to observe a variety of interesting cases. The most dramatic operation involved a patient with fasciitis throughout the groin and legs, which was exasperated by a botch surgery at a different hospital which had even damaged her rectum. Needless to say, it was a very large injury and an impressive closure. We also observed a tumor resection from a patient’s face, which extended all the way to the bone. This patient had previously received several rounds of radiation to remove the cancer, but it had returned every time. The case was a potent example of the demand for artificial free flaps, which would have saved several hours in the operating room and significant amounts of trauma from donor sites. Finally, I watched two craniotomies, including the patient that we had seen in office visit for several weeks with a large tissue expander on his scalp. It will be nice to see him with a normal shaped head again!

This week was filled with the adventure of scientific discovery: I continued to make the micropatterned acellular graft constructs, and we implanted them in mice on Wednesday. I am nervous and excited to see how they turn out in the next two weeks! I also made significant progress in the flap study. Noteably, I adapted a steady-state, gravity-driven perfusion bioreactor to generate flow through our constructs, and I successfully loaded cells into the channel. This week I will culture GFP HUVECs in the channel and see if they generate a patent endothelium. Meanwhile, I will attempt to fabricate microvascular networks/capillary beds that integrate with the larger inlet and outlet vessels. This is an exciting step in our efforts to design functional, tissue engineered free flaps. Finally, I picked up the beginning of a new project last week investigating the role of embryonic stem-derived and adult endothelial cells in wound healing. We will use the collagen scaffolds to implant these cells in excision wounds in mice in the next weeks. I am excited to be part of this project, which is in collaboration with Dr. Shahin Rafii’s group.

No comments:

Post a Comment