Friday, July 27, 2012

Frank He_Weeks 6-7

The last day of BME summer immersion. It's been quite an experience, one that I had not anticipated coming into the program. From the senior class-men it seemed like it would just be a whole lot of surgical observations, but it has been so much more than that. I think those that got a lot out of this program were the ones who really seized opportunities and made the best possible situation for themselves, because while the bureaucracy is overall terrible down here, the actual possibilities are pretty boundless, especially for those in cancer research.

In the past few weeks I've met with notable cancer researchers, set up collaborations with my mentor, and given a short lecture on the metastatic niche at the MSKCC Orthopaedic Grand Rounds. These experiences have definitely expanded my knowledge base and given me additional perspective on my thesis and how to make more relevant for physicians. The benefits of being in a place like NYC are simply enormous! I've already given enough praise to the program, so I'll just end it like this.

Next summer - MSKCC is a great place to gain exposure to cancer research and it is a great resume stamp. However, beware of the red tape -- and don't let it limit you in what you want to get out of the summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment