Sunday, July 29, 2012

Fredrik T Week 7


Wow, 7 weeks pass so quickly and I have absolutely loved to be in the city this summer. Even though my research project presented me with a lot of hurdles and I wish I would have been able to do more, I feel that the clinical immersion part of my experience has been totally invaluable. It has given me the sneak peak into medicine I always wanted.
Week 7 was also the week when everything would happen for my HUVEC project. Tuesday and Wednesday I ran two experiments attempting to capture HUVEC cells using a surface antigen antibody. Very excited to finally do some work! However, I wish I had more time to troubleshoot.

On my very last day I went to both Labor and Delivery and Cardiothoracic surgery! In L&D I saw a very small baby getting delivered through a cesarean. Even though the baby was 34 weeks and should have been a relatively uncomplicated preterm birth, something was preventing it from growing normally in the uterus and as a result he weighed less than two pounds when delivered.

In cardiothoracic surgery I observed Dr Girardi (appeared on the Letterman show this week!) perform a heart valve replacement and the repair of a large aortic aneurysm. These were by far the most intense and fascinating surgeries I have observed this summer! For the second surgery the patient was on complete bypass and in full circulatory arrest for parts of the operation. I got to see the surgeon replace an entire aortic arch with a branched artificial graft!

This weeks was also the time for our final group meeting and dinner. Delicious and very enjoyable!

No comments:

Post a Comment