Thursday, July 26, 2012

Funmi - Week 6

Last week was primarily focused on clinical work and talking to researchers at HSS about various aspects of my research plans in Ithaca. The most incredible part of this week was during office visits with Dr. Bostrom. One of his patients had dislocated a new hip implant. It seemed quite unbelievable, but there it was on the x-ray - the ball was not in the socket. As one can imagine, the patient  had to have emergency surgery to fix the implant. The healing time now would be longer as a lot of the soft tissue had been damaged. It was quite fascinating to hear about the mechanics of the hip. In fact, one of the most interesting things I learned was that it is quite difficult to dislocate your hip when your leg is straight. Keeping the patient's knee straight would ensure that the hip wouldn't re-dislocate. 


Aside from the office visits, I had the opportunity to talk to a research group who specializes in MRI on small animals, for pre-clinical research projects. I would like to use MRI for an aspect of my project Ithaca, and I am hopeful that although it will be challenging to do MRI on mice, it will  provide valuable information for the project. Next week, Dr. Bostrom will not be here, and I have completed my project, so I hope get to see some surgeries in Weill Medical.

No comments:

Post a Comment