Monday, July 16, 2012

Kevin - Week 5

Another week gone by, another post. This week had me thinking a lot about age. I met a patient whose age I can't remember right now, but he was clearly a much older gentleman. He mentioned that both of his parents are still alive; one is 92 and the other is 96 (pretty sure that's right; positive on the 4 year difference at least). That was crazy to me. I can't think of anyone else I've run into like that. He has had a complete family unit for what, 60, 70 years at least? It's nuckin futs. I'm sure that must be great for the parents, because they've been able to see their child completely grow up and go through all the key phases a parent would want to see their child experience. I know my parents won't be able to say that at that man's age; I wonder if I will. And for the parents,  that's almost an entire decade of events to live through. They would have been around for so much crazy happening in history. It just really puts me in my place, and I feel kind of stupid for those moments I've shared with friends. I've heard it a few times this week, and much more in the past: someone brings up something and then goes "we are getting old." The most recent two were a friend and my brother. My friend is a dad now, so I'm sure life is different for him, but apparently us not recognizing these new pokemon means "we are getting old my friend." And that sounds even more retarded after having typed that. Then my brother posted some new facebook meme garbage dating the times before old popular movies and things. Yeah, Lion King is like 15 years old now. And? So time has passed and maybe it doesn't feel like that long ago. But then my brother tried to say haha we are so old. No. No we aren't. I'm just now at the point, relatively, where I could even call myself an adult, and he definitely isn't even there yet. I totally get older people saying "my you are still so young." It threw me off a little when the doctors said that about patients in their 30s and early 40s, but when you see people in their 80s and 90s I guess it's a fair thing to say. And now I want to slap everyone on facebook who says crap like that. If you are in your 20s and you say you are old; you are a child. And I want to slap you. Just one good slap.

No comments:

Post a Comment