Sunday, July 1, 2012

Week 3 Jingwei Zhang


          This week I spent most of my time in reading room and MRI scanning room, continued studying cases. On Wednesday, I shadowed a patient through her MRI scan. She was a 6-year-old girl who had cerebella astrocytomas and had the tumor removed 3 years ago, 2009. She came in again because of headache and double vision, symptoms similar to those led to her cerebella astrocytomas diagnostics 3 years ago. Doctors worry about recurrence and order a head MRI scan. Since children tend not to be cooperative during MRI scan, the patient was put under anesthesia to avoid motion artifacts in the images. The imaging suit included DWI, T1, T2 FLAIR and GRE in different orientations. That afternoon I went to the reading room and discussed the case with my mentor. Luckily, no abnormality was observed. There was a tiny bright spot which might be some mineral accumulation but should not be something to worry about. If there are chances I would like to follow up and see how well she is doing. Here I wish her speed recovery and best of luck.
          Next week I will spend most of my time in medical ICU. It is the week of July 4th. Hopefully everything goes well.

No comments:

Post a Comment