Monday, July 9, 2012

Week 4 -- Bunyarit


During this week, I still keep doing my project by collecting patients’ data, and learn how to use biostatistics to analyze the patients’ data. In addition to my project, I had an opportunity to shadow Dr. Sperling to observed what would happen within emergency room. At first, Dr. Sperling introduced me to other emergency doctors in his team. Thereafter, he explained the responsibility of emergency doctors. The duty is involved in diagnosing the symptoms of patients, curing them from trauma, and sending them to the most suitable doctor. From shadowing him, I had a chance to meet 25 patients in area A of emergency room. There was a case that still gets me every time. There was a man who cut his pointer finger during his work, and fortunately his wife was conscientious to keep his cut pointer finger in ice bucket. After Dr. Sperling diagnosed his symptom, he told me that the cut finger could be put it back by stitching together. This case has taught me when we have any activities, we should have mindfulness in an effort to prevent bad things happen. Dr. Sperling has really impressed me because from following him, I noticed that not only did he work hard and smart to help to relieve the pain of patients but also tried to talk in the way that make his patients feeling better. Morover, I followed Dr. Howell to meet patients in PICU. Before meeting with patients, Dr. Howell taught her medical students both in theory and practice. After teaching, she and her team met patients and followed the progress of the patient’s symptom. After finishing meeting with almost 12 patients, I followed her to get into her office where she explained me everything, and taught me how to interpret important information from X-ray films and CT scan pictures of the patients. Impressively, she is really great teacher because she explained very clear in every topic.


No comments:

Post a Comment