Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Week 7 CGregg

My final week in NYC was mainly spent finalizing my project.  I fixed my last set of PEG-DA samples in formalin.  Unfortunately, the shared equipment with cell and developmental biology was unavailable until Friday; therefore, the final histology sectioning and staining will be finished by my labmates the first week that I am back in Ithaca.

Furthermore, I have a drafted version of a vascular network model but in order to continue this project I will have to have access to different modeling equipment which is only in Ithaca.  Hopefully I will have an opportunity once I am back in Ithaca to continue working on making vascular network models as a secondary project.

In addition to finishing up some details on my project, I was able to see a few different aspects of clinical medicine that I hadn't had the opportunity to see before.  The most exciting was the cesarian section that I observed.  The second was the simulation room in labor and delivery.  The simulation room is used as a training tool for the residents where they are required to pass a number of simulations.  The simulation that I saw was of a newborn baby born via cesarian section to a mother that had gestational diabetes.  The baby was bradychardic and slightly cytotoxic.

No comments:

Post a Comment