Saturday, August 11, 2012

Week 5

On Monday, I had the chance to shadow Dr. Rosenblatt during three cataract removal surgeries. I was surprised to find out that patients are actually awake during the operation which also surprisingly lasts no more than 20 minutes. Most of these patients have been suffering from greatly reduced vision due to the cataracts. Most patients can immediately notice a restoration of vision when the cataracts is removed and the lens is replaced, and that is because although the patient is sedated, the optic nerve is not. During the rest of the week I worked a little bit more on my research project. Last week I had not seen marked differences in cell behavior or adhesion under low shear stresses. As such, I decided to grow more cells to repeat my experiments next week with greater shear forces. I also extracted and processed my silk fibroin, from Bombyx Mori silk worm cocoons, that I will use to make my silk films for my experiments.

No comments:

Post a Comment