Saturday, August 11, 2012

Week 6

This week I did not really get a chance to visit the clinic or shadow a surgery. However, I did work more extensively on my project. I used the silk fibroin extract solution I produced last week to cast and process 14mm diameter silk films. Then I seeded my HCLE cells on the silks to used for my flow chamber experiments. I decided to use this time, much higher shear stresses to notice any marked differences in cell behavior between cells grown on tissue culture plastic and cells grown on silk. Under about 800 dynes/cm^2 of shear stress, I was able to drastic results. A certain percentage of cells had detached sheared off of the tissue culture plastic under the strong shear forces. I took time lapse images at different time points of 24, 48, and 72 hours to notice if there were any differences.

No comments:

Post a Comment