Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Week 4 - Katie


Because Dr. Hartl and many of my coworkers were in Tanzania this week, I focused on the programming needed for my project. Essentially, I needed to create a program that would take an MRI image, allow the user to choose a region of interest, and display the statistics related to the relaxation times for only that ROI.

MATLAB is my programming language of choice and I’ve been learning (and remembering) a lot about image processing as I wrote this program. I would like the user to specify the desired ROI, to display the statistics in numerical and graphic forms as well as save a text file of the data for future use.

We have several experiments going on in our lab looking at implanting tissue engineered IVDs in rats and injecting collagen into rat tails. To determine our outcomes, we use MR images, X-rays, and histological analysis.

Additionally, I made contact with the sales representative for the marrow harvesting system Dr. Hartl uses in his surgery so that we can talk more about protocols for harvesting human MSCs.
We had the 4th of July off and I had the chance to see the fireworks over the Hudson River.  This is a great experience and I’m grateful to have the opportunity to see and live in such an awesome city.

No comments:

Post a Comment